Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mindful Matters with Food

For Lent I always give something up that I really love. It is usually sugar because I have a very naughty sweet tooth that sometimes completely rules my world and waistline. I am not particularly religious in an organized way but I love the ideas of self-restraint and fasting and meditation and conscious living. Self-denial not something that I am proficient at, but in these new economic times it is hard not to contemplate how to have some restraint in everyday life and implement new habits. Yesterday I came across this concept of Vegan 'til Six while reading Knot Sew Crafty and then in turn Salt and Chocolate. This concept of Vegan 'til Six comes from Mark Bittman's new book.


















Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating by Mark Bittman

The whole idea is to eat a vegan meal (grains, veggies, and fruit) for breakfast and lunch, then for dinner eat whatever you want. The idea of eating in this manner has a twofold effect. On a personal level, it moves one away from a meat and process food based diet to a more plant based diet. On a macrolevel, the move away from a meat and corn based diet will have implications for the planet. Now I don't know all the details as I have not read the book...yet. But I did listen to this interview with Mark Bittman and now I really want to read the book. The idea really appeals to me from a health and global perspective. So I am hopping aboard the Vegan 'til Six train.

The season of Lent is a perfect time to start a project like this. They say it takes 30 days to start a new habit, so a good 40 days will really give you a chance to engage in new habits and in this case more conscious eating. If this sounds interesting to you I invite you to join Alexis, Mary Beth, and me on this food journey during Lent. The hubby is on board too.

Who doesn't love a giveaway?! Mary Beth is giving away a copy of the book so go and visit her blog and leave a comment. You have until tomorrow.

Please let me know if you decide to jump on board and embark on this food journey too. The train is leaving the station bright and early on Wednesday, February 25. That's the first day of Lent, just in case you didn't know.

No comments: