Thursday, August 27, 2009

Cookie Time

Sunday Sarah posted that she made Lemon Zucchini Cookies. They sounded and looked delicious. There was a zucchini in the fridge screaming to become a cookie. At the end of the dissertation my eating habits were out of control, so we have been trying to eat healthier around here. With that in mind I decided to try and make the cookie a tad bit healthier.


























Sarah used this recipe.

When I went to make the recipe I found that I only had 1 stick of butter, so I needed a different recipe or alter the recipe. After doing a search I found this recipe, which took 1 stick of butter and used nutmeg to spice up the cookies. A little spice sounded good to me and no math so I used the other recipe. The substitutions I made were to use oatmeal and whole wheat flour. Also instead of brown sugar and granulated sugar, I used raw cane sugar, which has a deeper flavor than granulated sugar but not as rich as the brown sugar. My brown sugar was as hard as a rock. Don't you hate when that happens?


Lemon Zucchini Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup raw cane sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 ½ cups oatmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt

Directions:
Heat oven to 375. Mix sugar, butter and eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until almost no indention remains when touched (about 8-10 mins.); cool.

They are yummy. The cookies are lemony and crisp around the edges. The center is moist and spicy. I made mine larger than a rounded teaspoon and they might have been better if I had. It's just really hot here in LA and the oven heats up the entire house so I had to get these cookies in and out of the oven. Therefore I made bigger cookies. Both the original recipes have a lemony glaze on the cookies, but that seemed too sweet for me so I didn't frost the cookies. They really don't need it as they are delicious and wholesome with oatmeal added in.

What's your favorite cookie? Do you have a favorite healthy cookie recipe? Please share if you do.

No comments: