Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Busy Weekend

Whoa! What a weekend.

Friday, I picked up my nephew Ty. We haven't spent much time together this summer what with my finishing the dissertation. When I picked him up in the afternoon, I asked him if it was all right if we stopped by the Stitch Cafe to pick up some sock yarn. As we were parking in the lot he told me that even going to the grocery store was fun with me and his Uncle. Isn't that sweet? It really just made my heart swell. I love that kid. He helped me pick the color yarn for Damson, a new shawl by Ysolda. (Yes, I cast on. But I have already had to tink back after I alternated the two row repeat while watching True Blood. Argh!)

The kid just got his bottom braces put on Thursday and he had to eat soft foods until Saturday, so we stopped and had an ice cream. This is the ultimate soft food and cure-all, in my opinion. We got home and played Mario Smash Bros. on the Wii (Yeah, I got skills). Dinner was supposed to be kabobs. The kid likes meat on a stick, but with the soft food requirement we went to Vivoli Cafe for dinner. The kid is not an adventurous eater, but had lasagna for the first time ever in a restaurant and loved it. They make really good Italian food at a fair price at Vivoli.

After dinner, we went to see Ponyo, the new Hayao Miyazaki movie. I really liked it. The animation was beautiful as always and the story was simple, straight forward, and sweet. It is a great movie for kids.

In the morning was my first Book Club meeting for Julia and Julia by Julie Powell. My plans were to make a Blueberry Clafouti from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child herself. Unfortunately when we woke up in the morning the power was out. Somebody had wrapped themselves around a power pole in the wee hours of the morning. RIP (It was a bad accident). No power. No oven. That means fruit salad. I picked up the most ripe and delicious box of peaches from Trader Joe's along with my blueberries. I dropped the peaches into boiling water for about 20 seconds and then peeled off the skins.

Wearing my pearls and carry a big bowl of peaches and blueberries, I was off to Book Club. Dorothy, the hostess, put out a lovely spread of blueberry muffins and Strata for brunch. Someone brought doughnuts and another champagne. Mimosas and plates in hand we talked about the book and food. I brought my copy of MTAFC with me too, which everyone took a look through. It was a great group of women who had interesting things to say and I am looking forward to our next meeting sometime in October.

In the afternoon, Ty was in a play called Beauty is a Beast. He has been a player in a theater group for about four years now. The play was very funny. The kids are so danged cute. After the play we went to my Mom's house to play with the new kitten, Boondocker. That kitten has BIG paws and he is so devilish. He scratched my face immediately. He was having no part of these big humans picking him up for a cuddle. Hissing and clawing and oh so cute. Man, I wanted to cuddle that cat, but no way José.

Surf's up! We packed up the car with boards and wet suits and headed to Santa Monica. The kid wanted to learn to surf. This has been the hubby's dream for years.

The kid was like a pro. He got up on the board the first time. These shots are actually the second time he rode in. The first time I was whooping it up on the beach and missed the shot. Once the kid was feeling confident, the hubby grabbed his board to ride some waves.

There is nothing like a day at the beach. It was a perfect day too. Not too hot and not too crowded. Well, we got there early (about 8:30am) and left about noon. I guess the crowds were coming by then. It was lunchtime and we were hungry. So we went out for pizza, but I will tell you all about that tomorrow.

No comments: