Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Wrap it up

Oh back in the day when Clapotis was all the rage, I knit one up. It was never blocked until this past Monday. Now back in 2005 when I knit this up, I was a fairly new knitter and I didn't really know or care about blocking. I know, so silly. The shawl is so much better now that I have blocked it. It now has drape, where before it seemed stiff and curled up on itself and was totally unwearable.



















Now it is totally wearable. See that beautiful California sky above the fence. It's still hot here. It's been in the 80s all week and bone dry. I blocked the shawl outside and it is so danged dry out that it was dry by twilight time.

Now the shawl is wearable but the weather only permits it to be worn at night.

































Now Ellen is a crochet master and she is my mentor when it comes to the hook. She is always whipping up the most fantastic shawls, so I asked her to help me out with getting one started. She recently made one with Noro Sock Yarn and I happily picked some Noro Silk Garden Sock Yarn in color 292 at Unwind in Burbank before spinning class one night.













The shawl is basically half a granny square and we all know what Ellen says about granny squares..."they are the build blocks of fashion". She is soooo right. This shawl crocheted up super quick and the Noro colors are always amazing. I think this one is perfect for wearing with jeans and adding some color to an outfit and around the face.





























It was such a great project I started up another one right away. This has got to be the most subtle colorway (269) from Noro ever!













Creams, grays, and beiges













For the Shawl, I use an H hook and two balls of Noro Silk Garden Sock yarn. Just like Ellen taught me, I start with double crochets and after 10-12 rows I move to trebles so the shawl will have more drape. So much fun and so fast to make. This is a very satisfying project all the way around.

No comments: