Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Me Love Cookies!













This past weekend I baked up a batch of cookies for a tree trimming party. First I thought I would make straight up ginger cookies but I have a bunch of oatmeal that was screaming to be made into cookies and some cranberries as well. Instead of going one way or another I decided to combine them all into one cookie.






















































































Ginger Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup of butter
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/4 cups brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 cup minced candied ginger
1 cup dried cranberries

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. In a smaller bowl, stir together 1 cup flour, baking soda, salt and ground ginger. Add mixture to the buttery mix. Add brown sugar, turbinado sugar, eggs, and vanilla to mix. Blend 1-2 minutes, or until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Stir in the oats and the remaining flour. Fold in the candied ginger and cranberries. Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool on rack. Makes about 48 cookies.

The cookies were delicious. They were chewy and oaty with gingery heat and a touch of tartness from the cranberries. Now if I make them again, I would definitely add some lemon zest. I think a citrus top note would really elevate all the flavors.

What your favorite cookie recipe? If you have a link to a recipe, please leave it for me. In some ways I consider myself a cookie monster. Me love cookies!

No comments: