Friday, January 02, 2009

Buttermilk Pie

Before I became afflicted with the cold that would not go away, I made a Buttermilk Pie. Never had I heard of Buttermilk Pie, but I stumbled upon it at Knot Sew Crafty who found the recipe over at Springtree Road. There was buttermilk in the fridge and a pie dough I was itching to try. It was to the kitchen for some making.

buttermilk pie

BMP1
Buttermilk pie is a custard pie that hails from the South. Although in my four years in North Carolina I never did run across one. Apparently it's a cousin to Chess Pie, which I have had. The Buttermilk Pie was golden, creamy and delicious. The top forms a lacy crust with sweet custard below. If you like custard pies this is one to try. It's an easy recipe too.

The recipe called for an unbaked 9-inch pie shell. I am all in favor of the Pillsbury pie crusts. They are reliable and always turn out a good crust. Why mess with a good thing. However, this year I was feeling adventurous.

Some time last year I picked up this book.



























In it is the recipe for No-Fear Pie Crust.
The secret to this tasty flaky crust is a little bit of cream cheese in the mix.

So far I have made three recipes from the book and all the recipes have been great. It was from a promo Cooks Country Magazine that I stumbled across the ratings of the instant-read thermometers (their recommendations also made the book). The hubby was wanting a good instant-read thermometer and he got a Thermoworks Super-Fast Thermapen for his birthday. It rocks. We use it for everything...bread and meat. It works fast and accurately. They really test their stuff over at the those Test Kitchens. The Test Kitchen must be a fun place to work.

What's your favorite pie? As a kid mine was pumpkin. Now in the summer it's peach and the winter it's sweet potato. Oh I love key lime too. Pie....yummmmmm.

No comments: