Monday, July 13, 2009

Weekend Fun















Learning to Bhangra by incurable_hippie


This past Saturday was one of the best in a long time. In the morning I got some work done, so in the afternoon I headed over to Swerve Studio (on 3rd @ Sweetzer) for a Bollywood Bhangra Beats class. Ellen read about it a few weeks ago and she thought it sounded like something I would do. She was so right. It was loads of fun dancing bhangra. Since I was all warmed up I decided to stay and take the yoga class right afterwards. It was also a great class. After a few weeks of being chained to my desk, it felt exhilerating to move and dance and stretch and sweat and do something totally new.

After class I went home and took a quick shower. Then the hubby and I went to see The Hangover. Hilarious. As someone who had her bachelorette party in Sin City, the movie is not far off. I would love to divulge the details but you know what they say, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

For dinner we went to Golden State. To top off my day, I went classic, with the burger, fries, and root beer on tap. With a scoop of Scoops ice cream for dessert. Yowza! What a perfect day.

Last night was a trip to the Hollywood Bowl to see Ray LaMontagne. This guy is so amazing. His voice and his music are powerful and moving. He's a pretty shy guy and didn't say much on stage. His music just speaks for itself. If you are not familiar with his music he is one to take a listen to.

The Hollywood Bowl picnic basket included:
Pasta Frittata - simple and yummy...the lemon zest makes it. Used basil instead of thyme.
Black Bean salad - Used canned beans, substituted queso fresco for feta, added corn, and would have topped with pepitas if I had them. Great recipe, especially the dressing.
Caprese - heirloom tomato, mozzarella, basil, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Wine: Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand (drink me!)

We brought dessert but didn't even eat it.
fresh raspberries and blueberries, tapioca pudding, and shortcake.

When we got home I hade a spoon full of tapioca. Believe it or not I had never had tapioca pudding before. It is soooo good. Loved it and I love that there is dessert waiting for me at home in my fridge.

Tonight we are going to make shrimp tacos and put the bean salad on the tacos with the shrimps. I kept the arugula separate from the bean mixture so the greens wouldn't get soggy. I think this is going to be a delicious combo and different enough to finish up the bean salad. Maybe a little guacamole to top it off. Olé!

Oh and a side note: If you have been chained to your desk and inactive for too long...just take one exercise class per day. My quads are killing me and I can barely walk. It will be interesting in spin class tomorrow. If you hear whimpering and see a woman with tears running down her face in the back of class...that will be me. Hopefully the music will be blasting as usual to drown out my cries. hehe.

No comments: