Monday, July 07, 2008

Didgeri-DONE!

Where have I been? What have I been doing?

Sewing like a mad fiend all week and weekend. A mad fiend, I say. Whew... I have finally finished the didgeridoo bag. YAY! This was the hardest project I have ever done. I had to make the whole pattern up by my little ole self. It turned out well and I am happy with it.

didge bag
(I don't know why this picture is turned on it's side. It was right side up before I posted it and no amount of deleting and reposting the picture is making it come out right. So cock your head to the left to get a better sense.)

The didgeridoo bag required some embellishment which you have to figure out before you sew the whole thing together. This required massive amounts of thought. The bag is for Isis (the didge) and I wanted to put her name on the bag. I toyed with the idea Ommmighty Isis. Yeah I know, I am product of television with a little yoga thrown in. I nixed it after I wrote it down on a piece of paper a few times and didn't like the way it looked. In the end I embroidered "Isis" down the length of the bag. I knew in the end it would just look like an embroidered embellishment rather than a name.

For the hood I appliqued an Om symbol. Om is the universal and primordial sound.

" Om (AUM) is such a sound , the basis of all sounds.The first letter A is the root sound, key, pronounced without touching any part of the toungue or palate; M represents the last sound in the series being produced with closed lips, and U rolls from the very root to the end of the sounding-board of the mouth . Thus Om represents the whole phenomenon of sound production", according to Swami Vivekananda.

The Om is a natural fit with the didgeridoo whose sound reverberates to the depths of your soul and taps into long forgotten places. I find the sound very centering, just as I do when chanting Om. Yeah, I'm an Om-er and I like granola, but I draw the line at Birkenstocks. HA! They just don't fall into the cute category for me.

This was my first time doing appliqué. The whole reverse image thing threw me for a loop but in a MacGyver moment I used my TV as a light box to outline my image onto my Lite Steam-A-Seam 2. I love the way the appliqué turned out

didge hood

top o' the bag
The Om hood provides extra protection for the bowl of the didge. It is insulated with batting while the bag has a core of polar fleece for padding. A very snuggly place for a didge to rest in.


beads
The beads provide extra kick-i-ness and color!

**********************************************

I dropped off the bag this morning.
Guess what?
He likes it!
B&I2
That smile tells me I did a good job.

Photobucket
Isis has a new home!

2 comments:

carlita dee said...

Whewwwww!

It looks GREAT, and I can tell the B man loves it!

Ellen Bloom said...

You are an angel to have designed and actually made this gig-bag! It looks great. I love the emblem and the beads. You now qualify as a bonafide instrument case DESIGNER!