Monday, September 21, 2009

Stay cool

This weekend we managed to have fun even though it was hot in the house. On Saturday, to cool off and work out I swam at the gym while the hubby and friend went surfing. Afterwards the hubby, Jason, and I hung out in a cool, dark, Mexican restaurant for lunch. El Compadre, Home of the Flaming Margarita, on Sunset Blvd (at Vista St) is our favorite red pleather booth Mexican haunt. There is something about swimming that makes one powerful hungry and we ate well in the cool darkness.

Saturday night we went to see Pink Martini at the Hollywood Bowl. The Bowl season is winding down and Pink Martini was the perfect way to end the summer. It was an amazing show. The musicianship is stellar. The band is tight. China Forbes' voice, well, she can sing and you can ride to the moon and back on that voice. Thomas Lauderdale's fingers should be a National Treasure, meaning he has a way with the ivories. Pink Martini is fabulous and you can catch their KCRW session from Friday, September 18 here on Morning Becomes Eclectic. If you have a chance to hear them live, I really encourage you to do it. They are incredible live, even better than their CDs. Just like the name of the band, they are a treat.

Sunday, my friend Darcy and I went to brunch down on Abbot Kinney in Venice. She just got back from London and Barcelona and I had to hear all about her adventures. For brunch we went to Rockenwagner's 3 Square Cafe. We split the Huevos Rancheros with chile relleno & the Bread Pudding French Toast. I must confess that I don't really like french toast or bread pudding much, but I loved the bread pudding french toast. It was incredible. The chile relleno was fantastic too. We washed down all that food with Elderberry Prosecco, which was slightly sweet, yet light and refreshing.

After brunch we walked the around and poked into little shops. We stumbled onto N'ice Cream Homemade gelato and sorbet. Right out front we bumped into Jenna and her beau. Here is my belief about ice cream. There is always room for ice cream. Ice cream melts and fills in all the nooks and crannies, even if you just ate. After consulting with Jenna and Todd on their flavors (chocolate & mint and salted caramel & vanilla, respectively), we went in. Darcy had the salted caramel & cherry chip while I went for the salted caramel and pistachio. Heaven! Creamy gelato heaven. It's worth the trip to Venice. We continued to walk and talk our way around Abbott Kinney and even passed the car. We were having fun.

Back at home, the heat was too much inside. So I shed as much of my clothes as possible without scandalizing any nosy neighbors (should they be looking), grabbed a book, went outside and promptly fell asleep on the couch. A pupper soon joined me and we snoozed the heat away.

For dinner....we had sliders. Trader Joe's sells little slider burgers in the meat dept. and little buns in the bread aisle. I bought these a few weeks ago and we loved them. We made them the exact same way as last time because they were that danged good.












The sliders are grilled with Anna Mae's Smoky Sweet Oven & Grill Sauce (this is currently my favorite BBQ sauce, so yummy) and topped with swiss cheese. The little buns are buttered and grilled because they are not the softest buns you ever put a burger on, so you have to doctor them up. To finish up the burger we put on caramelized sweet onions, spicy brown mustard, and sliced cornichons. In general, cornichons are not my favorite pickle but the acidity seriously elevates these sliders. They are much better with than without. So good. We also had smashed potatoes and carrot chips and radishes.













Doesn't that look good?


The hubby took a picture of me in the backyard. He said, me and the grill are two of his favorite things so he had to get a picture.



















This morning I read about Rollip on Creative Kismet (there are good things happening on this blog, very creative stuff. Also this is were I found out about Bench Monday. dang it's Monday. another thing to add on the list) . Rollip let's you turn your photos into polaroid-like photos. It's really easy, super cool and free. The backyard photo is now polaroid-ized. Hey, I am sitting on a bench. Woohoo. Got that Bench Monday covered too. One more thing off the list.

I hope you are scratching things off your list too.
Have a happy day!

No comments: