Saturday, April 03, 2010

How to boil an egg



















The Easter Egg is a symbol of spring's renewal and the resurrection, if you lean that way. Tomorrow is Easter and therefore eggs have been boiled and dyed in preparation for the hunt. Charissa called me this week to ask me how I boil my eggs.

This is how I boil my eggs (this information was given to me by my Aunt Mary Lynne who makes a mean deviled egg).

Boiled eggs
Put eggs in cold water.
Bring to boil.
Boil for 6 minutes.
Turn off heat and let sit in water for six minutes.

According to Cook's Illustrated for Fool Proof Boiled Eggs
Makes 6 eggs. Published March 1, 1999.

You may double or triple this recipe as long as you use a pot large enough to hold the eggs in a single layer, covered by an inch of water.

Ingredients
6 large eggs

Instructions

  1. Place eggs in medium saucepan, cover with 1 inch of water, and bring to boil over high heat. Remove pan from heat, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, fill a medium bowl with 1 quart water and 1 tray of ice cubes (or equivalent). Transfer eggs to ice water bath with slotted spoon; let sit 5 minutes. Peel and use as desired.

Of course, I have to ask - How do you boil your eggs and who taught you to boil an egg?

No comments: